Yoshizen's Blog

Stollen ( German Fruits Cake for Xmas )

StollenA09A1448

On my daily life, there are quite few things missing —– on the shopping front, it is far easier

to count what I buy rather than listing up what I don’t buy = such as other than fresh vegetables and

the fruits, a sort of sweets or confectionery is completely missing = simply because I’m buying

essentials which I desperately need ! = if I don’t eat I may die = So that, I have to eat = hence, I buy

the food staffs, but in the cheapest way = fresh raw material = never buy processed food, let

alone junk-food or that kind, bottled drink, any alcohol, which we don’t need for our survival 😀

[]

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not following ANY idea of “Healthy diet” or Religious restriction what so ever

but simply I’m living the life of poor-man. Cooking out of fresh materials is the cheapest way to eat.

This mind-set, “poor-man” (in Buddhist’s term, Bhikku = Beggar)  seemed to have originated from

my family = Zen priest’s and the life in the mountain = NO waste of food, food is to survive.

—– And in the same context, no waste of anything (since, I’m not printing a money or ever

produced even a single grain of rice) so to repair and recycle what so ever it was possible, is the norm.

In the same way, wear the clothes is for its essential function, not for fashion or vanity = hence,

as long as it is wearable (with stitching repair etc), no need to buy another one.

—– So, I’m still using my heavy-duty jacket I bought in Japan 40 years ago 🙂 — though, it seems,

it has gone too far hence, some body told me “If you like to come, buy decent clothes and wear a tie”

= so, I needed to buy a trouser and jacket last week (last time I did shopping for clothe (other than

underwear and socks) was two years ago 😀 )

[]

Therefore, in my shopping, I’m going through a forests of foods and goods like a remote land-scape.

Still, it is not a kind of fixed mind or prohibition, the mind recognizes those item which I don’t need is

not there —– sweets, confectionery or the fashion display doesn’t take any attention = or they are

almost NOT exists. (I might be an enemy of the super-market —– or for them, £10 par week

kind of person has no statistical significance :-D) —– THOUGH, once in a year, I’m making

an exception for a German cake Stollen which is only sold in the Xmas time.

Stollen is a German equivalent of Xmas pudding but not as heavy as Xmas pudding with Rum or

Brandy, still it is a kind of festive fruits cake.

[]

—– I’m not an expert of cake making, let alone Stollen. I only know this, in the past 7~8 years since

I saw a woman buying this from the Lidl saying “This Stollen is our traditional Xmas cake”

As the woman pronounced “Sh-tollen” I noticed she is a German. (And Lidl shop was originated

from Germany)

—– So, as a cultural interest, I bought one and realized this must be the symbol of their winter life.

= In the Autumn, people, kids goes woods and gather edible small fruits, Blue-berry

kind and Walnuts, Pine-nuts etc. And use those harvested and dried fruits to make a

cake for winter festive season. (Though, today’s Stollen was made with imported Raison, Almond

/ Marzipan etc —– still showing and maintaining their traditional folk culture 🙂 )

I like the life rooted on the Earth and live accordingly to the season = life of

the moment to moment.

Pick the Berry in a late Summer, preparing for the coming Winter — and eat the gift of the Nature

in the Festive time remembering the Sun in the Past Summer = To repeat this, ten or so times,

the kids become good grown-ups and start to have their own family.

—– or, to repeat 60~80 times is what our LIFE is = smell of sun drenched bush, or cool air

of forest’s floor —– the memory of brother or sister, friends etc etc = and the cycle of the LIFE

= therefore, as I bought the same Stollen again, it’s mean yet another year has past.

I wouldn’t say, either congratulation or sorry = it’s just another year  😀

(And, I wouldn’t imply the life has an equivalent value of 80 Stollen  😀 😀 )

___/\___

[]__

10 Responses

1. drawandshoot said, on December 18, 2012 at 15:55

“smell of sun drenched bush, or forest’s floor —– the memory of brother or sister, friends etc etc = and the cycle of the LIFE” Nicely stated, Yoshizen. Best wishes to you! 🙂

• yoshizen said, on December 18, 2012 at 16:43

Thank you very much Karen.
      Best wishes to you too.

2. Eye nutrition | MyInfoWiZARD.COM said, on December 18, 2012 at 18:33

[…] Fryer!Series: Leafy Greens- Spinach and Breakfast ScrambleFood DesertsQuestion of the DayBaby FoodStollen ( German Fruits Cake for Xmas ) .recentcomments a{display:inline !important;padding:0 !important;margin:0 […]

3. bentehaarstad said, on December 20, 2012 at 01:39

Memories, I think I don’t like fruit cakes from early age. But then my brother gave me a german stollen cake for cristmas with some other edibles (he didn’t know what to do probably): nice, at least almost nice. Must confess I can be a dessert and cream cake fanatic, but a picky one. What I never pick is prosessed food or fast food. Make our own food: cheaper, healthier, better. And no waste of course. Nice, intricat post, Yoshizen.

• yoshizen said, on December 20, 2012 at 06:19

Thank you Bente. In fact, I’ve wrote this, while having your fruits picking stories in mind.
      Eat the fruits on the spot doesn’t make any difference to other animal though, dry or preserve them,
      anticipating a coming winter, and use it to make a cake is quite a human culture and the tradition.
      —– so, I wonder the fruits you had picked, did you use them to make a cake or they have gone
      long before ? 🙂

• bentehaarstad said, on December 21, 2012 at 01:30

I used apples to make a cake, Yoshizen, twice. No other cake for the time beeing, so I use the berries as jam on bread for breakfast + lunch usually. All the year. I always have at least 3 differnt ones in my fridjge, the rest in the freezer. I can use the berries (jam) in cakes too, we will see. By the way all these berries are free, since I pick them myself, no cost except a bit of sugar..

4. Elena Caravela said, on December 22, 2012 at 01:09

I’m very lucky because I have a friend who makes excellent stollen and gives us her stollen gift every year at Christmas. I hope your stollen was just as wonderful.

• yoshizen said, on December 22, 2012 at 01:47

I haven’t have an opportunity to try another, other than Lidl’s —– So, I’m not sure if it was wonderful or not.
      (I had a reputation, I eat any kind —– regardless if others say good or dreadful =
      I enjoy a discovery “Under the sun, there is such dreadful food still exists. How interesting !” 😀 )
      When I stayed Lubeck, Germany, I eat their famous Marzipan cake which was heavier than the Stollen
      from Lidl —– still, I can enjoy any sweets. (but these days, I rarely buy it myself 😀 )

5. Lemony (Gr)Egghead said, on January 2, 2013 at 03:00

Thoroughly enjoyed this post. Have never tried Stollen, but am a BIG fan of the Italian Christmas fruit cake, Panettone.

• yoshizen said, on January 2, 2013 at 04:20

Thank you Lemony. I know Panettone as well though, Stollen is half of its price.
      I like rustic or primitive approach of Stollen = It’s a German product ! Heavy and indestructible 😀